Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar Picks 2011

A Black and White February Interruption.

You've got to make picks, even if you think it's mostly bunk.

I shot with 75% accuracy last year, so I'm feeling pretty good about this. Then again, I chose selectively, getting three of four right. I'll aim just a bit higher than that for my 2011 predictions:

Film: The King's Speech
which nominee deserves it: The King's Speech

Director: Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
which nominee deserves it: David Fincher, The Social Network

Actor: Colin Firth, The King's Speech
which nominee deserves it: Colin Firth, The King's Speech

Actress: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
which nominee deserves it: Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
[note: The Kids Are All Right is one of the few I haven't seen in 2011. I'm basing this deserving on "all-time deserving," like the Jeff Bridges win last year.]

Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, The Fighter
which nominee deserves it: Christian Bale, The Fighter

Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, The Fighter
which nominee deserves it: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

Cinematography: Inception
which nominee deserves it: Black Swan
[note: This is my most cynical pick. If Inception wins this, as Avatar did last year, this category might as well be thrown out and turned into "Best Misunderstanding of CGI and How It Works."]

Documentary Feature: Inside Job
which nominee deserves it: Waste Land

Foreign Language Film: In A Better World (Susanne Bier, Denmark)
[note: no pick for "deserving" as I've only seen one film in this category. This pick is based on the film's reviews, which have been highly favorable, and the fact that Ms. Bier has already made countless films that are worthy of a win in this category.]
[final note: If Dogtooth wins, there will be a riot. Somewhere. Maybe only in blogosphere FilmLand, but I know it will happen somewhere.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments. If you keep it relatively clean and respectful, and use your name or any name outside of "Anonymous," I will be much more apt to respond. Spam or stupidity is mine to delete at will. Thanks.