Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Top Directors of the Aughts

A Group of Friends and I are putting a poll together to gauge the "Most Important Directors of the Aughts." I had an extremely hard time with the phrasing of this poll, so for the purposes here at Flmsweep, I've made two. (The second one was much easier, and more fun, than the first.)

For the record, it actually took a good bit of thought over a period of a month or so to finally get to some of these conclusions...

The Ten Most Important Directors of the Aughts

1. Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
2. Michael Haneke
3. Paul Thomas Anderson
4. Joel and Ethan Coen
5. Ki-Duk Kim
6. Lars von Trier
7. Michael Winterbottom
8. Lukas Moodysson
9. Michael Moore
10. Clint Eastwood

I am not satisfied with my last two picks here, but again, the word "important" really throws me off. I'd much have preferred to list Fatih Akin or Claire Denis or a load of other artists whose work I love a whole lot more, but at least I've listed them here, so it is said.

But OK. Here's where I had a whole lot more fun --

My Ten Most Favorite Directors of the Aughts

1. Gaspar Noé
2. Lars von Trier
3. Paul Thomas Anderson
4. Joel and Ethan Coen
5. Michel Gondry
6. Ki-Duk Kim
7. Guy Maddin
8. Fabrice Du Welz
9. Darren Aronofsky
10. Quentin Tarantino 

Similar lists? Somewhat. By the latter is so much more satisfying.

Oops. How could I forget? --

11. Michael Haneke
(Should probably be in the Top Three instead of here at 11, but oh well, at least he is mentioned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments. If you keep it relatively clean and respectful, and use your name or any name outside of "Anonymous," I will be much more apt to respond. Spam or stupidity is mine to delete at will. Thanks.