Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Black and White February. (2013)


The sky fell hard a few days ago, in perfect timing for my annual tradition: celebrating indoors what it feels like outdoors by digging into the archives and basking in the glow or black and white wonder. I've been doing this three or four years now (most successfully blogged in 2011, when I wrote about nearly twenty films), and it has become my favorite time of the year for movies.

This year I plan on starting with a few silents, one or two of which I'll be seeing for the first time (A&F lister The Phantom of the Opera (1925) for certain), and one or two of which I'll be revisiting (most likely The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) and The Battleship Potemkin (1925), both of which I studied in a Humanities course in college) -- and after feeling the need for a very long time, I will be revisiting Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy : The Blood of a Poet (1930), Orpheus (1950), and Testament of Orpheus (1960). Needless to say, I am definitely stoked for that.

And if I can get to all that, we'll just kinda see where it goes from there.

So here's to you, cold winter. Here's to you, Old Man Snow. Feel free to blow outside while I sip hot chocolate indoors, and seep into scrumptious black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments. If you keep it relatively clean and respectful, and use your name or any name outside of "Anonymous," I will be much more apt to respond. Spam or stupidity is mine to delete at will. Thanks.