Saturday, February 27, 2010

Revanche. (2008) Götz Spielmann

Ebert's review is Here, and his last sentence in the review may have summed it up best:

"How often, after seeing a thriller, do you continue to think about the lives of its characters? If you open up most of them, it’s like looking inside a wristwatch. Opening this one is like heart surgery."

It's been five or six days, and I can't stop thinking about Revanche. There are certain parts of it -- especially the calloused ugliness in the opening twenty minutes of some of its cheap and sleazy
characters  -- that I'd like to forget. But the film builds and culminates in a meditation on revenge, to a point at which revenge is the last, and worst, possible option.

I can't quite put a finger on this one.  It's a quiet, haunting work. I know I want to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments. If you keep it relatively clean and respectful, and use your name or any name outside of "Anonymous," I will be much more apt to respond. Spam or stupidity is mine to delete at will. Thanks.